As much as love using Vicks, there's one ingredient I'm definitely NOT a fan of--PETROLATUM (duh, duh, DUUUUUHHHH!). So in my search to find a more natural
version of this product, I've come across a fantastic recipe from one of my favorite DIY moms, Wellness Mama. Click here to learn how to make your own.
During my search for the many uses of Vicks VapoRub, I came across a handful of really useful ideas. Here they are...
Top 10 Uses for Vapor-Rub (in no particular order):
NOTE: These remedies work with both the conventional brand and the homemade version
- Bug Bites - I use a little dab on my daughter to relieve the itchiness of mosquito bites. The look of relief on her face after applying it tells me that it works!
- Insect Repellent - Rub some on your skin and/or clothes in order to keep those little nasties from biting you.
- Alleviate Bruises - Mix a little vapor-rub with sea salt as soon as you get a bruise (may also work for an existing bruise, too). It helps break down the blood build up in the bruise, while helping to dissipate the coloring.
- Cuts and Scratches - Apply ointment to cuts and scratches to encourage faster healing.
- Sinus Headaches - Apply a small amount underneath the nostrils. The vapors will help open the sinus cavities and alleviate pressure. DO NOT APPLY INSIDE THE NOSTRILS!
- Acne - Apply vapor-rub on acne several times per day to soothe and dry out breakouts. NOTE: I have yet to test this theory and will report back my findings when I do. :-)
- Nail Fungus - Apply directly to the infected nail and surrounding nail bed at least twice a day. For at bedtime, be sure to wear cotton socks so that you don't get the stuff on your bed sheets.
- Athlete's Foot - Hey, if it works for nail fungus, it'll work for this, too! Apply vapor-rub on and around the infected area of your foot twice a day, wearing cotton socks when applied before bedtime.
- Healing Cracked Skin on Feet - At bedtime, rub vapor-rub all over the dry skin on your feet and put on cotton socks. In the morning, wash the vapor-rub off with warm water and a soft cloth, then take a pumice stone or foot file (not the one for nails, but the really BIG one just for feet) and exfoliate the skin. Do this daily for super soft feet that will look good in any pair of sandals!
- For Colds - In addition to applying vapor-rub the "ol-fashioned way" and rubbing it on your chest, you can also rub it on the soles of your feet in order to alleviate congestion so that you can sleep at night.
As always, feel free to share your own favorite uses for Vicks VapoRub, or even a more natural version that you love to use. I love to learn from you! :-)
If you enjoyed what you've read and feel others could benefit from this information, please do share the link to this post on your favorite social media site. While you're here, you can sign up for the Dirt Momma newsletter to receive updates on what's been going on in Dirt Momma's homestead, and learn a few tips and tricks along the way! Thanks so much! :-)
Until next time...here's to your health!