This is the first project I've ever done as a knitter using a knitting loom. My daughter loves her new hat!
There are a few different methods of knitting: there's the more traditional method (the more common styles are English and Continental--though there are several others known around the world), which uses a pair of straight knitting needles--either pointed at one end or at both ends. Then there's knitting "in the round" with circular needles, which are a pair of knitting needles connected by a flexible cord. The other method is what is known as loom knitting, which requires a circular or straight "loom" with pegs around which the yarn is wrapped and a hook is used to pull loops of yarn over the hooks. For those who are more well-versed in the knitting arts, I invite you to elaborate on this or anything else you've read in this article by posting in the comments section below. Thanks! There are a variety of books and online resources that provide plenty of information for the beginner knitter. Here are some that I've found to be extremely helpful (along with some additional sites that were recommended to me by a friend of mine).
- Ravelry.com - This is basically the Facebook of knitting. It's a great way to connect with other knitters, find groups--either local or online--find helpful tutorials on knitting, as well as an exhaustive collection of knitting patterns (some patterns are free PDF downloads, while others you may have to purchase).
- AllFreeKnitting.com - This website is a valuable resource for free knitting patterns, which are all links to other websites.
- KnittingHelp.com - Lots of super helpful knitting video tutorials to help you improve your skills. Highly recommended!
- KnittingPatternCentral.com - Amazing resource for patterns and tutorials that knitters can use.
- Knitty.com - This is an online knitting magazine that is published quarterly (winter, spring, summer, fall). Lots of great ideas, helpful tips, patterns, etc.
- TECHknitting - Great blog that has a ton of technical knitting advice for knitters.
- The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting by Nicki Trench
- Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook by Debbie Stoller
- Circular Knitting Workshop: Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round by Margaret Radcliffe
- The Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting by Nancy Queen
You can also check out Pinterest.com to search for knitting ideas. There are literally thousands to choose from! My goal is document various knitting projects that I'll be working on and share them with you. Stay tuned!
If you enjoyed what you've read and feel others could benefit from this information, please do share the link to this post on your favorite social media site. While you're here, you can sign up for the Dirt Momma newsletter to receive updates on what's been going on in Dirt Momma's homestead, and learn a few tips and tips along the way! Thanks so much! :-)
Until next time... Happy knitting!